Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sgian Dubh


Everyone has been asking me about my Sporran (gaelic for purse) which was originally an everyday practical item and is now a decorative part of Highland dress. This is another part of highland regalia - my sgian dubh (pronounced skeen doo). Sgian means knife or dagger, dubh means black.

The sgian dubh and was carried in the upper sleeve or lining of the body of a Scotsman's jacket.

Courtesy would demand that when entering the home of a friend, any concealed weapons would be revealed. It follows that the sgian would be removed from its hiding-place and displayed in the stocking top held securely by the garters. It is also important for Scotscats to keep their claws sheathed. McFAZ

14 comments:

Cheysuli and gemini said...

That was a great bit of Scottish History Faz. How did they make sure the cats kept their claws sheathed?

Pablo said...

Wow. You really know your McStuff... hey, is there a Fazakerley tartan?

The Lone Beader said...

Hahahaha! McFaz made me laugh!

Dr Tweety of da Fab Five said...

Aye, Faz. dis iz da ting. Da momee iz ready to puts on her colorz & rassle up da pipes.

Gandalf & Grayson said...

McWow, that's very intersting.

Benjamin Fuzz said...

you're a really good teacher, faz!

we gave you an award...come by and pick it up!

love
ben & lucy

Trixie said...

Wow that was really interesting. My mom is interested in Celtic stuff because she is half Irish.

Daisy said...

Fazzie, I like learning new things from you.

Tybalt said...

Thank you for sharing, McFaz . . . I hear that my mommy's family is part Scottish . . . does that make me McTybalt?

zevo calamari said...

Totally cool.. do you play bagpipes too?
Thanks for the Scottish lesson,
xoxoxo

Poppy Q said...

Fazzie McFaz. Has you been wathcing too much braveheart? Or drinking too much whiskey?

Ramses said...

Oh this is all very interesting! I was wondering about getting my very own sporran for keeping my personal 'nip stash in! ;)

The Cat Realm said...

This is so interesting! We learn lots of things we never even knew existed, hahahahaha!
I gave you an award, Faz, you can pick it up at my blog.
Karl

Kaz's Cats said...

G'day McFaz, we're impressed with your 'black dagger' - it looks fearsome, although we'll bet it's not as fearsome as your claws. Mum said thanks for explaining about dagger being displayed in the stocking top - that's where she could recall seeing it, but didn't know the history behind it.

Purrs

Gypsy & Tasha