Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day Morris Men


Happy Christmas to all my furrends. I wasn't allowed to blog yesterday but thought I would share this picture of some Boxing Day Morris Men doing their thing in Hastings.

A morris dance is a form of old English folk dacncing usually accompanied by music. It is based on rhythmic stepping and the execution of choreographed figures by a group of dancers. Implements such as handkerchiefs, sticks, clay tobacco pipes, pigs' bladders (yes I did say pigs' bladders) and swords, are wielded by the dancers. Morris dancing dates back to at least 1448 but there is no mention of "morris" dancing earlier than the late 15th century and there is certainly no evidence to prove that it is a pre-Christian ritual, as is often claimed.

11 comments:

Daisy said...

Neat-o! I learned something new today. I thought today was a special day where I could box everybuddy and not get in Trouble.

Eric and Flynn said...

Mum says the Morris Men go to one of the pubs in our village on Boxing Day. She hasn't taken us to see them though.

Eduardo said...

Cool Dancing guys!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

Poppy Q said...

Merry christmas to you Fazzie and your beans. It has been a quiet christmas at our house as mum had to work.

We hope you get lots of relaxing and treats to share together.

Forever Foster said...

Faz, we hope that you adn your family had a very happy Christmas! We can't imagine weilding pigs bladders. I wonder if it would be like a water balloon?

Angus Mhor said...

That's a pretty neat lookin' dance-sans pig bladder, of course. Have they imbibed a lot of adult beverages? I've learned that people act really funny after imbibing adult beverages.

Tracey and Huffle said...

You learn something new every day! I hope you had a lovely Christmas Faz.

Huffle Mawson

Evie/VampyVictor said...

Ohh they look like lots of fun Faz! Did your parents go to see them? cool!!! :)

V-V

THE ZOO said...

We hope yur Christmas wuz bery Merry.

Cheysuli and gemini said...

Well that was fascinating. We see Morris Dancing at the Revels when we go.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I haven't seen Morris Dancing for years...it's great that it has been going all this time. Old traditions and all that...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Christine, and that Faz got lots of kitty loot!